Tips on how to be a good office tenant
Honour your responsibilities in your commercial lease and be the ideal office tenant
With any office tenancy, it is important that you honour your legal obligations and responsibilities as a tenant. Keeping on good terms with your landlord will result in your company being able to enjoy your office tenancy and will also help you secure a good reference when the time comes to move office again.
There are a few things that you can do to make your office tenancy easy and aggravation-free:
- Get a clear understanding of your tenant responsibilities before signing your commercial lease. Your Property Solicitor can advise you fully on this.
- Pay your rent on time.
- When corresponding directly with your landlord,ensure that you submit your requests by letter or email and always keep hard copies of the conversation to avoid any misunderstandings.
- Give plenty of notice for any changes that might affect your tenancy and allow your landlord lots of time to respond.
- Keep your offices clean and tidy. Recycling and carefully disposing of your refuse is also important if you share your office building with other tenants.
- Make regular checks of your office space and always make a request to your landlord in writing if you need any alterations carrying out or need to upgrade anything.
- If your office lease is coming to an end and you are relocating your business elsewhere, give proper advance notice to your landlord to exit the lease in plenty of time and in the correct way.
- When moving out of your current premises, make sure you put right any alterations you have made to the premises and repair any general wear and tear (this may be stipulated within the lease).
Following these tips should make for a smooth office tenancy and an enjoyable time in your new offices! To locate a property solicitor in your area to help you with your commercial lease queries, use our simple location search.