How long does it take to plan an office move?
There are 2 parts to the question “how long do office moves take” and a successful office move will require an understanding of both.
1. How far in advance should you start planning for an office move?
As soon as the issue of “we need to think about moving office?” is raised then the first two items on your “moving office to-do list” should be to:
- Find out the position on your existing lease. You need to dig it out and show it to a Property Solicitor in order to find out what the terms and timeframes required to give notice are. Do not phone up your landlord to ask them what you need to do (as to do so hands over the initiative to them). Speaking to a specialist Property Lawyer will mean that they can provide the necessary advice as to how you can "exit" your existing office space in accordance with the provisions of your office lease.
- Understand your office space options. Speak to a local Property Consultant and discuss with them what are you wanting to achieve. They can help you have a look at your property and business strategies in order to weigh up and then outline the options.
Best practice suggests that businesses should start reviewing their options 9 to 18 months before the expiration of their current office lease - irrespective of whether the company is thinking about renewing/renogiating the existing lease or relocating to a new office. It is vital that you allow enough lead time to have as many options open to you as possible - as this will allow you to make the best financial and operational decision for your business.
Once you have established that you are in a position to move office and that an office move is the right option for your business then you can get started on the execution of your office relocation.
2. How long does each part of the office move process take?
The established rule of thumb for the key stages of an office move can be broken down as follows:
- Identifying & Viewing Office Properties (1 - 4 Weeks)
- Agreeing Terms on your chosen Properties (1 - 2 Weeks)
- Conveyancing (4 - 8 Weeks)
- Office Design & Fit-Out (4 - 8 Weeks)
- Office Removals (2 - 4 Weeks)
A successful office move is going to require input and expertise from a wide-ranging team of internal and external sources.
In order to keep your office move project on time refer to the interactive Moving Office Timetable document which identifies the key stages of an office move and tells you what needs to be done and what time.
Wherever you are in your office move process Help Moving Office has the information you need to plan your office move properly.Start Planning
With over 20 guides, checklists, tools & calculators the Resource Centre has everything you need to plan, organise & manage a successful office move.See Resources
Looking for the right companies for your office move? Connect with independently sourced and pre-qualified companies that are experts in your local market.The Directory
How do I even begin to plan an office move? Good question ... read on to find out how best to tackle the planning of your office move.Read Article
The challenges and logistics of an office move can sometimes feel overwhelming. This guide helps you understand the timeframes and costs you are likely to incur so you know more about what to expect when you move office.Read Article