IT Relocation Essentials
It's every office move project manager's nightmare; arriving at the new office with no IT network connection, no phones ringing and staff wondering around helplessly. Poor IT Relocation planning and leaving setting up your IT infrastructure to the last minute only leads to disaster and puts your business operations at enormous risk.
If there's one IT Relocation essential you should take from this article, it's to make sure that the IT infrastructure is set up correctly BEFORE you move your IT networks.
To help avoid any IT relocation disaster for your office move, we've created an informative, yet easy-to-follow IT Relocation Checklist. It details all the important tasks that need to be completed to ensure your new office is "IT Ready" for that all-important first morning in the new office.
These IT Relocation Essentials (also listed in the Checklist) are also worth considering when planning an IT Relocation:
- Try to move office over a weekend, this way you have enough time to trouble shoot technical issues before Monday morning. An ideal IT Relocation timeline would be to shut down PCs on a Friday, pack and label, move them to the new office on Saturday - set-up, test and troubleshoot, then test again and finalise on Sunday.
- Have your IT Relocation Company on site on Monday morning when staff arrive, as there may be IT issues that need fixing, or software that hasn't been tested.
- When packing your IT equipment, make sure everything is properly labelled. Use a colour-code system to label keyboards, mouses, cables, phones etc. so that everyone ends up with the right hardware, and more importantly, that all cables link to their correct PC!
- Order any new phone lines well in advance of move day. Telecom vendors can sometime stipulate a 60 day lead time.
- Conduct a walk-through of the new office with your IT Relocation Company to establish where workstations will be located and what each individual workstation IT requirement is. This will help to establish your new IT infrastructure.
- Establish what external connections you need (internet, DSL or WAN connections etc. ) and make sure everything is set up accordingly before you get to the new office.
- Use a cable tester to test whether your network cable is functional before you move the PCs into the office. It will save your hours of hassle over your move weekend.
If you want to make your IT relocation goes without a hitch, download this FREE and ESSENTIAL IT Relocation Checklist.
Wherever you are in your office move process Help Moving Office has the information you need to plan your office move properly.Start Planning
With over 20 guides, checklists, tools & calculators the Resource Centre has everything you need to plan, organise & manage a successful office move.See Resources
Looking for the right companies for your office move? Connect with independently sourced and pre-qualified companies that are experts in your local market.The Directory
How do I even begin to plan an office move? Good question ... read on to find out how best to tackle the planning of your office move.Read Article
The challenges and logistics of an office move can sometimes feel overwhelming. This guide helps you understand the timeframes and costs you are likely to incur so you know more about what to expect when you move office.Read Article