Rethinking a new office space
Moving office is a huge event so it is important to get it right. More often than not, a company will relocate to larger premises as it expands its workforce. This can sometimes present potential problems in relation to the new office layout, so it is important to get the office design right before you move in.
Office relocation presents the perfect opportunity to have a rethink about desk layouts and storage facilities. If you are able to enlist the help of a professional office designer, they will be able to offer you advice on how to make sure you get this right. If you are considering working out the new office layout yourself, follow our tips below.
Consider the design carefully
- It is important to take a good look at the use of space in your new office to ascertain whether it is being utilised correctly.
- Take a look at the circulation space to see if there is an excess of central corridors dominating valuable floor space.
- Make a note of the size of desks in use - it might be that some are the wrong shape and size for their whereabouts and may therefore be causing an obstruction.
- Is there enough meeting space provided in the original office design?
- Are there areas in the office which contain piles of papers and books which could be stored elsewhere?
- Is the office space dominated by large filing cabinets or other storage facilities?
- A lack of valuable working space for your employees could effectively lose you money if it is not addressed. Enlisting help from an office designer will guarantee that your office space is used more wisely, even if it means adopting quite traditional working styles.
Create space for flexible work
Whatever plans you have to utilise your new office design, always include your staff and colleagues in the discussions. You’ll find that keeping employees in the loop will prevent staff from becoming demoralised and possibly uncooperative. Using surveys and focus groups is one way to involve staff and to ascertain a clearer idea on current and potential work styles.
For further information on how to design and configure your new office space, download the free Tenant's Guide to Moving Office.
Wherever you are in your office move process Help Moving Office has the information you need to plan your office move properly.Start Planning
With over 20 guides, checklists, tools & calculators the Resource Centre has everything you need to plan, organise & manage a successful office move.See Resources
Looking for the right companies for your office move? Connect with independently sourced and pre-qualified companies that are experts in your local market.The Directory
How do I even begin to plan an office move? Good question ... read on to find out how best to tackle the planning of your office move.Read Article
The challenges and logistics of an office move can sometimes feel overwhelming. This guide helps you understand the timeframes and costs you are likely to incur so you know more about what to expect when you move office.Read Article